When the Guild was founded there were twelve charter members. By 1986 membership exceeded 100 and remains so today. Key highlights of our history include:
- Publication of our first newsletter in 1977
- The Guild’s first Spring Exhibition was held at Incarnate Word University in 1980
- In 2004, the Guild held its first Calligraphy Faire
- In the summer of 2005, SACG assisted in hosting the 25th Annual International Lettering Arts Conference in Dallas, Texas
- The Guild celebrated it’s 35th anniversary in 2011.
- Charitable and other community activities include support of the Bexar County Battered Women’s & Children’s Shelter, outreach for children’s career-day activities, art therapy for disabled veterans, calligraphy classes for senior citizens, free demonstrations and exhibitions.
- Renowned calligraphers who have presented lectures, programs and workshops to the Guild include Paul Freeman, Carl Rohrs, Denis Brown, Thomas Ingmire, Peter Thornton, Reggie Ezell, Rosie Kelly, Carol Palleson, Marsha Brady, Lisa Engelbrecht, Jacqueline Sullivan, Brody Neuenschwander, Carrie Imai, Nancy Culmone, Donald Jackson, and Sheila Waters.